It’s summertime and in my house, that means more greens! Since I live in a world of vegetarians, salads are usually part of our meals anyway. But, when you are not in the mood for a “traditional” meal, and are craving something crunchy, easy to digest in 102 degrees and with a bit a tang, give this one a try. This is for you, Samantha. I have heard that if you build it they will come…So, Sam, if I make it will you come home for a visit?
Yield: serves 4-6 (depending on how much you love salad!)
- 1 head of arugula lettuce (or other favorite green)
- 1 head of romaine lettuce (or other favorite green)
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1 sliced green apple
- 3 pears, sliced
- 3 oz. herb goat cheese, crumbled
- 5 oz. candied walnuts
Place lettuce and cucumbers in a salad bowl. Top with apple slices, pears, goat chees and walnuts.
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch freshly cracked pepper
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss salad with desired amount of dressing.